Sunday, June 15, 2008

Looooo-uke.... I am your faaaaadaaa......

If you're a fan of the star wars trilogy (original 3) or if you've watched at least final episode (the 3rd movie before the prequels), then you'd know who said this line to whom in which scene. The reason the words came echoing into my mind is because today is (I think so anyway) Father's Day.

When you're a kid, more often than not, you always look at your Dad as a superhuman, able to do at the very least most things, if not all things, that you demand of him. Maybe I'm not speaking for all here, but I assume the majority out there would agree to this statement.
But now that I'm a dad, it's all just bullshit. Speaking of shit, I was planning to 'do' something about my own, but I either forgot a bout it till to late, or just reconsidered at the moment of truth. Then, surfing the net, I found this site. Check it out, and I am sure you'll be satisfied.
Back to the point I was trying to make. I am no role-model father, neither am I even one who can claim to be able to give any kind of advice at all regarding fatherhood, because I know that most of the time I do stuff for the kids with barely a smile on my face, sometimes with moans and groans (focus please) and sometimes even with a bitter look, but I do it nonetheless. On this topic, here's my take.

Fatherhood, is at the very basic level, a responsibility that you just have to take. No questions asked. Same as motherhood, you just do it, no questions asked. You might have a voice in your head questioning your decision or sacrifice, but that's about it. You have no right to bring it up, or even worse use at as if it is justification that your are Father or Mother of the Year. It's all part of the process, even if it uses up other resources. Just like breathing, consciously or otherwise, it must carry on without question. AND you can't claim that you're alive because you did all the had breathing part. It just is. Just do it. Even if it hurts, otherwise you're better off dead, literally....

Anyway, for me Father's Day (and Mother's Day, and all other days like it, such as Valentine's Day, etc) was created by some capitalist joker who saw the potential to make more money, sell more products, etc. It has lost meaning, and got really expensive too. Not that I don't appreciate all the stuff my parents did for me and don't want to buy him gifts, but because even without these 'special' days, they're always heroes to me, no need for a day to remind me about it (eventhough I forget more often that not, but that's besides the point...). Comparing fathers on Father's Day makes no sense, because for sure every Father tries his damned best to provide for the kids. Only difference is, his paycheck, or his physical strength, or some other difference that does not make the playing field level, for those who are doing comparisons. But in the heart, it's all the same. I would like it better if Father's Day was changed to F***er's Day, and on this day, we highlight all the idiotic stuff that father's have done, so the other father's can learn and take pointers on what to avoid doing at all costs. On this day, we curse to idiot dads who give the business a bad name. Then, for the rest of the year, we celebrate our father's like it is that one father's day we now celebrate. How about that?

Anyway, talking about Father's Day and gifts, I've find 2 that I as a father would love to get from my kids, and if the agree with me on the above points, they can buy these stuff for me any day of the year, not restricted to a Father's Day set by some western culture, or whatever. Then again they'll have to borrow the money from me, but hey I'm a father, so it is my duty to fork it out.

The first is just cool. The Sharp Shooting TV remote. Since part of the job scope for all fathers is the constant care of the TV remote, this just blows my mind. The only problem is you can only set it to do one function, but still it is just a cool gadget. Imagine pointing the device at the TV just like a sheriff, and it comes with a badge too!. I just can't wait til they figure out a way to put in more function into it. Read more about it here.
The second one is also cool, but maybe not for all. This one is limited to smokers. Have you ever had the urge to smoke only to be in a place where smoking is prohibited? Restaurant, LRT, plane, office, etc? Well with this gadget, you can smoke anywhere, and without annoying anyone with your smoke. Read more about it here.
You can also check out both of these gadgets here.

Anyway, HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all fathers.....

No comments: